Yep, That is the World Series trophy.

Yep, That is the World Series trophy.
I know... you're jealous. It's ok. Just repent of your sin and become a Cardinal fan.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'M RUINED! RUINED I SAY!!!

Ok, I've been back in country about a week now, so I guess I'm ready to try and put my thoughts into words (we'll see if that's true...) I will get to the reason for the blog title in a moment, but let me set the stage a bit...

Sunday, May 10 I flew out of Chicago heading for Guatemala City. I was taking part in a training trip with Adopt-A-Child (if you are unfamiliar with what AAC does, check out this blog from last summer
http://mattnjenn.blogspot.com/2008/09/im-not-dead-yet.html )
with a group from various points on the globe. To make it a little easier to organize, I will bullet point some aspects of the trip (also if you would like to see pics they can be found on my facebook page, if you don't have my facebook page go here, add me and put "blog referral" in the message line)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=643878564&ref=name
On to the trip info:

* The group consisted of 3 people from the US, 3 from Canada, 10 from various parts of the UK, a missionary from Albania and two missionaries from the US. Needless to say half the fun was trying to understand each others accents. :D Unfortunately, Jennifer was not able to go with me, but that allowed me to room with the 3 guys from Canada. While I missed Jenn terribly it was a huge blessing to get to know Dean, Jason and Richard in a way the others did not. No one else was privy to the conversations and genuine personalities that I got to experience, I am truly grateful.

* I was reminded again of how important the sponsor/child relationship is. We were at one home visit when we asked a boy (who had just tagged along) if he was sponsored, he ran back to his house and then came out with a half dozen pictures of his sponsor. He had a huge grin on his face. That connection is sooooooo important.

* There are 9 feeding programs in Guatemala. 3 are in the Antigua area and 6 in the Quiche region. 3 of the 6 in Quiche are deep in the mountains. It was gorgeous country but very treacherous terrain. Again I am humbled by the dedication these children (and the AAC workers) show in being a part of the program, and saddened by the lack of dedication to the things of God by the supposed "civilized world". (And yes, I put myself in that group)

* Both Antigua and Chixocol (in Quiche) have a medical and dental clinic. It certainly does not have all the frills and bells and whistles of a clinic in the US, but they are dedicated to serve as best they can with what they have. Much of their equipment is quite old and second hand, and they are in need of much. But they still see the needs of those who come. They don't descriminate, in fact they name patients who have aids, yet they treat them with no reservation. At the Chixocol clinic, they work 8-4 Monday through Friday and are on call 24/7. On a regular day they see 30-50 patients. Ask your local physician... that's a lot. But through this care and the nutritional menu of the programs, they are seeing a great increase in the health of the kids. The best part? They use the time at the clinic as another tool to share the gospel. AAC is about treating the body, but determined to treat the soul. That's why I'm proud to be a part of it.

* We mostly traveled using the bus (Patricia) or the vans... but my favorite way to travel was standing in the back of the pick-ups. I'd do it here if it were allowed. :D

* I got to meet the boy we sponsor, Isaias (pronouned ees-eye-eeh-ahs) which was a huge joy. He is a great kid with an infectious smile. Plus at various points of the meeting his hat was forwards, sideways and backwards.... I do that too... loved it.

* Isaias had a pretty good home situation. His father has passed away but his mom is able to provide for him with help from his older brothers. He is lucky, most kids are not in that situation. AAC did a study of the families involved with the program (about 3000) and found that 60-70% of the women are in abusive relationships. One such story we talked to a woman who's husband has many mistresses. He gave her an STD and now wants to divorce her because she is "unclean". He tells her she is worthless and damaged. This is quite common with the Quiche people. This cycle of abuse won't change without Jesus. One of the things the pastors of AAC have been doing is using Mother's Day to teach that God loves women and they do have value. It was such a blessing to see the body of Christ ministering right at the point of need. If you would, please continue to pray for these women and the people ministering to them.

* Our missionary hosts, Ana, Steve and Erminda were incredible. They were so gracious and patient with us. There are not enough words to sing their praises. I am so blessed to know them.

* There is no joy like the joy of returning to the states and being able to flush the toilet paper. If it were not for the assured looks of quizzical disgust, I would cheer in the restroom of the airport each time. But as to not seem completely bonkers I only cheer on the inside... but oh how I cheer.

I know there are a thousand things I'm forgetting to post, so they may pop up in subsequent blogs. But that's enough for now and it brings me back to the title of this blog. I'm ruined. I really am. I'm utterly and completely destroyed for this world. Everytime I travel on a missions trip I come back a a little more disconnected from the "american way of life". American society is based upon working in order to increase your things, to have nicer things and then be financially secure. But you know what? I don't care. I don't need a big house. I don't even need to own my own house. I don't need nice furniture, gimme second hand stuff. I don't need a "nice" car, just one that will get from point A to B. I don't need to go see movies, eat at nice restaurants, etc. Not only do I not need it, I don't want it. What I want is to see God move, to be involved in His plan worldwide. I want to be so in the middle of His plan for my life (and my family's) that I am trusting Him to provide. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to sit on my butt and do nothing. Right now His plan involves me working various part time jobs in order to pay the those things that are necessary (i.e. rent, utilities, clothes, food, etc.) But my clothes are hand-me downs from my youngest brother? Awesome. :D My furniture mostly came from wal-mart and/or garage sales? Sweet. I simply don't care. Like I said I'm ruined for this world. And am loving every minute of it. God bless and would love to hear from you. If you have any questions on my trip, just let me know.

- The unexpected world traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment