Yep, That is the World Series trophy.

Yep, That is the World Series trophy.
I know... you're jealous. It's ok. Just repent of your sin and become a Cardinal fan.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

This week on RAC...

lots of stuff runnin through my head, so we'll just hit em all in quick snippets...

* Jennifer and the team made it back all safe and sound from India. Well, I guess sound. They got back to town about 1 a.m. Monday morning, and when Jennifer finally laid down to sleep at 1:30 she said it was the first time she'd laid down in a bed in 48 hours. So that plus the severe jet lag and we're still trying to get back to a "normal" routine. So yes they are safe, but the sound part is still up for debate. :D

* I get to go visit Nick on Tuesday and I'm VERY excited. I love Nick, he's one of the coolest people I know. It's funny, I was at college while he was in high school, so he's the brother I didn't get the privilege of watching mature and grow up. But man I love who he's become and that I get to call him a brother.

* One of the coolest things I heard about from the trip to India was this. The people pretty quickly found out that Dad was a "senior pastor". He said that after he prayed for people, they would kneel, touch his feet with their hands, then kiss their fingers. He then found out that it was because they wanted to take the blessing/annointing that was on him back to their families. Wow. How powerful is that? One, I know that reaffirmed to Dad the responsibility we have as ministers to reflect Christ, but also, how sad is it that we in the "civilized American church" don't have that same respect or desire for the annointing God has placed on his children. We are so spoiled.

* Jennifer and I went and saw "The Dark Knight" this week. (I wasn't allowed to see it without her so I had to wait a few days.) LOVED it. I love the new interpretation of Batman anyway, and any movie with Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine is always good, but Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker. He just personified insanity. However, it can't help but make me wonder how much of that played a part in his death. I know (from articles) that Ledger was the type of actor who totally immersed himself in a character both in front of the cameras and behind the scenes. We'll never know how much, but that has to wear on your psyche.

* Here is my "spiritual awakening" moment for the week. I love movies. I love theater. I love dramas. I love watching the "unlikely hero" type roles. You know, the ones where a person isn't a superhero or anything, but finds himself/herself in a situation where bravery and conviction are called upon. I love to watch the person stand in the face of danger or death and coolly look it in the eye and not flinch. I know I have a bit of a "Messiah complex" in that I want to save everyone and fix everything (not my job, God is helping with putting that desire into proper perspective) and I have a desire to be a "hero". I know it. It's why I like those movies, it's partly why I love sports. And as I'm watching a particular show and watching the guy stand confidently and unwaveringly with a gun in his face, I felt that adrenaline rush of "ooh, that's awesome"... but suddenly I heard that still voice in my spirit say "Is that how I want you to react?" and it kinda threw me for a loop. There was a LOOOOOOOONG process of discussion with God on what He meant by that, but I'll give you the summary. When we face persecution in our lives is it better to stand and stare it down with confidence and stoicism or to look with love and tears in our eyes? Just a thought. (there's a lot more I could say, but I'll stop there for now.)

* We are still prepping for our trips to Albania and Mexico in the coming months. We should have all our flights for Albania taken care of by tuesday next week (which will be a huge relief) but there are still lots of details to work out. Please pray for us, we would love it.

* Stupid Cardinals... get my hopes up and then forget how to win. I've decided to quit my day job and become a reliever/closer for the Cards. I can give up runs just as well as they can and I'll come with a MUCH cheaper price tag. You wait. It's gonna happen.

* Illini Football is just around the corner! Woo hoo!

Ok, that's all for now. Hope all is well with you, I don't know how often you'll get updates in Aug. It's gonna be an insane month. But I'll do my best. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment